Jedi Robe Tutorial

Written by Schph Gochi
 

Figure 1: Jedi Robe Photo

Nothing says Jedi more than a good robe. It took 3 tries, but I finally made a robe to my liking. The first thing that I can tell you is wool….accept no substitutes! The hardest thing about making this robe will be finding fabric! The first robe I made was done in a fabric that looked like micro-suede... looked cheesy. The second robe I did was made out of a cotton/linen blend. This fabric is just too stiff, even after repeated washing and it wrinkles like crazy. The last robe is made from 100% wool. It is lightweight wool and the flow is incredible, it doesn’t wrinkle, and it can be washed (and mine has been). Finding wool in the area that I live in (near Chicago) I thought would be easy but I found out that was just not true. I ended up purchasing my wool fabric on line at fashionfabricsclub.com. I have also used fabric.com (Phoenix textiles) for some fabrics. Finding fabric at your local Hancock Fabric or Joanne's Fabrics is just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

The pattern that I used to make this robe is Simplicity #9887, view B. One of the changes I made to this pattern was to make the hood dramatically larger. The pattern piece for the hood that comes with the pattern is just much too small. If you look at the Old Republic Jedi, their hoods actually draped over their shoulder when the hood was down. I took the pattern piece for the hood and traced it onto blank paper. I then took the blank pattern piece and drew a cross on it, essential dividing the hood into quarters. I then cut the paper on the cross and "stretched" the hood out by placing the quarters onto another blank piece of paper and putting equal space between the pattern pieces like the illustration below.

Figure 2: Pattern Spacing Example

You may come up with another better way to do the hood enlargement, but this seemed to work well for me. When you sew this hood to the cape, you will have to gather it dramatically. Just baste at the bottom (where the hood meets the cape) and then draw the thread until it fits correctly.

The only other modification I made to this pattern was to eliminate the yoke detail. This was easily accomplished by pinning pattern pieces #4 and #5 to pattern piece #6 (pattern piece # 6 is cut twice-once with the printing up, and once down) BEFORE cutting the fabric. This will make the robe a solid panel of fabric instead of having the yoke a separate piece. You will see what I mean when you lay out the pattern pieces BEFORE cutting the fabric. Then just follow the directions to sew the robe together. I used a scrap piece of the wool fabric to make a "seam binding" to cover the seams where the hood attaches to the cape. I am not the world’s greatest seamstress…so if I can do this... anyone can!